Monday, August 20, 2012

On the Importance of Apology in the Month of Elul

Sometimes, I've gone years without apologizing for really bad things I've done to people. Other times, it's taken me a day or two to realize I was wrong and ask for an apology. As we approach Rosh Hashana, and embark on another attempt to "clear the slate" of the Heavenly tribunal, asking forgiveness from our fellow man becomes perhaps the most important factor of our daily lives.

I find asking others to forgive me one of the most difficult and trying things to do. Admitting one's fault may be extremely hard. Based on Mesilat Yesharim or "Path of the Righteous," I believe that admitting one's fault is very important. And forgiving others when they ask for forgiveness is just as--if not more important. When we forgive our fellow man, Hashem takes note of this, and is more apt to forgive us in turn.

On this note, I'd like to extend my apologies to the many people whom I've hurt this year in thought or in deed. I ask that you completely nulify your anger towards me as I will towards you. May G-d grant us a year of peace and tranquility, of good thoughts and deeds, of charity and kindness towards ourselves and each other. May the State of Israel merit good, righteous leaders and may our words and actions speed up the coming of the Mashiach and the Redemption.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home